Cite While You Write permits users to insert footnotes, endnotes, and bibliographic references into their papers as they write. This feature is only compatible with Microsoft Word; if you are using another program to write your thesis or dissertation, you will need to put citations in by palm, and export your citations from EndnoteWeb to a bibliography.
To see what this looks like in activity, check out these movies from other academic Libraries:
The Cite While You Write feature in Endnote Web requires that users install a plug-in for Word. Before installing, check the program’s system requirements here. If your computer does not meet these requirements, the Cite While You Write feature will not function. It may also cause conflicts with other programs on your computer.
If your computer meets the system requirements, you may install the Cite While You Write feature by following these instructions for Windows users:
Install MyEndnoteWeb Cite While You Write Plug-In for Windows
Click here to expand.
Microsoft Word must be closed during installation of Cite While You Write.
- Making sure you are logged into the EndNote Web site in a Web browser, click the Download Installers link at the bottom of any page.
- In the left forearm column under Cite while you Write, choose Download Windows.
- Make sure Internet Explorer and Microsoft Word are closed.
- Run the EndNoteWeb installer. Click Next on the very first page of the installer.
- Inject your name and Drew University on the Registration page. Click Next.
- Choose the Default server. Click Next again.
- Keep clicking next through to “Ready to Install”.
- When the installation is finished, click the “Finish” button.
Click on the EndNote tab.
If the EndNote toolbar or menu doesn’t emerge in Word, you’ll need to activate it, by going to the Commence button in Word (in the upper left) and clicking on “Word Options” at the bottom. Click on “Add-Ins” in the left-hand menu, and then at the bottom next to “Manage:” select “Word Add-ins” from the drop-down menu. Click on Go. Now check “EndNote Cwyw.dotm” on the list and click on OK. Now close and re-open Word.
Install MyEndnoteWeb Cite While You Write Plug-In for Macintosh
Microsoft Word must be closed before you install Cite While You Write.
Go to the “Instruments” menu, point your mouse over “EndNote X7” and select “Cite While You Write Preferences. “.
How to Use the Cite While You Write Feature
Tho’ EndNote Web instructions say you must use Internet Explorer, the CiteWhileYouWrite plugin emerges to work with Firefox. EndNote can be used to cite and format references in a manuscript. EndNote installs a tab in the Word toolbar. The ribbon has three sections: Citations, Bibliography, and Export Instruments.
Citation Dropdown Contraptions:
- Find Citation(s): Opens a window where you can search for the reference of interest, and insert it into the manuscript
- Insert Note: Permits adding a note to the document
- Insert Selected Citation(s): Inserts selected references as a makeshift citation at the location of the cursor in the Word document
- Find Figure(s): Permits injection of a figure included in an EndNote library
Go to EndNote: Launches EndNote or, if EndNote is already open, brings EndNote to the front of the desktop so that one or more references can be highlighted
Edit & Manage Citations: Permits editing of references, such as removing author name or year, or adding page numbers
Edit Library Reference(s): Permits editing of EndNote references from within Word (such as hiding the author name or adding page numbers); see the EndNote Getting Began Guide or the Help feature within EndNote for details.
Update Citations and Bibliography: Automatically updates the Word document with switches made to citations in EndNote.
Convert Citations & Bibliography Dropdown Devices:
Configure Bibliography: Accessible by clicking on the petite arrow in the Bibliography s ection of the Word EndNote Toolbar . Formats or reformats the references according to the selected output style. Also permits editing of font and line spacing (Layout tab) The formatting process substitutes the improvised citations with formatted citations and builds a formatted reference list at the end of the manuscript.